Friday, July 3, 2009

It's Been a Bad Week for the Deadman......

Normally, I don't like to write about my personal life here or when I post items on the message boards because anybody can read it and frankly who cares. You're looking to read somebody's opinion on the Redskins or a movie review or something.....not a sob story, or how somebody else's life is so great or so miserable.

But this has been a bad week for me so I figured I would share. At least this explains why I haven't been on IIWII in the past few days......

My job has gotten worse the last few months. I won't say who I work for or what it is I do but I'll say it's a much harder job than you think it is and than most people give the profession credit. And as much of a pain in the ass my job is, I actually like it (can tolerate it is the better word) and am pretty damn good at it (ironically at my job I am a perfectionist, outside of the job- not so much, but in this field you have to be perfect or people can be hurt). But lately it has gotten real bad. Our inventory has been cut dramatically. So bad that when we get an order for an item we distribute regularly, we're out. It doesn't make any sense. Also our staff has been reduced significantly (I know......welcome to the current recession, who's staff hasn't been reduced significantly?).

The supervisor of our department had quit about two months ago so not only am I doing my job but I've been doing most of the former supervisor's job (I passed on the position b/c I didn't want the workload of my job and the supervisor's responsibilities nor was I going to get any compensation- though I'm stuck with them now anyway) and the work of my staff (since my staff has been cut, I'm doing their work as well b/c we usually only have one staffer there to do the work of three people).
So now this week I get called into a meeting with my staff and my boss tells me that there are going to be pay cuts for me and the entire staff.....and that's the final straw.

It was a slap in the face, frankly. Bust your ass, stay and work extra hours- usually not getting paid (don't even mention overtime with me, I don't get overtime BTW) fixing the problems that everybody else screws up and this is the thanks I get. I should be getting a raise, not getting a cut. Plus, I know the board of directors just gave themselves nice big, fat raises (they make in 1 year what would take me 15-20 years to make) so that's enough for me.

The irony of it all is that if I had been asked to take a pay cut in order to hire another staffer, I probably would have done it with no problems.

So now I am unemployed. But I would rather take a lesser paying job for somebody else right now than to work for a place that expects you to be screwed over and then say "Thank You Sir, May I Have Another?".

So the upcoming weeks at IIWII will be interesting. I'll be running around looking for a job.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment