Wednesday, September 8, 2010

2010 NFL and Redskins Season Predictions

I got some Pick'em leagues and some suicide pools to finish up with before week one starts tomorrow but it's time you know where I stand with the Redskins and the rest of the NFL before the season starts. First, I'll start with the NFL.
Football is the one sport that it is incredibly hard to handicap or make any legitimate predictions. There always seems to be some dark horse team that rises up out of nowhere and makes a play for the playoffs. One injury (or an injury at the wrong time) can end a season. Heck, weather or a bad ref. call can end the season for a team just by a momentum shift. In the modern NFL teams are pretty equal in talent and with exception to a few really bad teams, almost every team has a legitimate chance to make the playoffs.
So advanced notice, I don't expect to be that great at this. But usually all the football guides and experts aren't that great either.

AFC
Divisional Winners
Indianapolis
San Diego
Baltimore
New York
Wild Cards
Cincinnati
Miami

Comments: A pretty safe roster of teams really. The only controversial pick on this list is the Dolphins over the Patriots for the wild card. Frankly, I think you could argue New England, Miami, Houston and Tennessee in that last wild card spot. All of the teams are worthy, but I have the least amount of doubts with Miami. I like Miami's upgrade on O with Brandon Marshall. Even with a mediocre pre-season, I still like the Jets in the East. I like the Chargers in the West (not sold on either Denver or Oakland making a play). I think the Ravens are just a better team than the Bengals right now and the Colts are a clear cut favorite.

NFC
Divisional Winners
Green Bay
Dallas
New Orleans
San Francisco
Wild Cards
Minnesota
Atlanta

Comments: Despite my NFCE bias, I don't think there will be more than one team coming out of the NFCE this year. The Skins are getting better, but are we a playoff team? Not sure. I don't think the Giants or Eagles are better this year. If anything, Dallas gets the nod moreso based on what's on paper that what I've seen on the field. If anything, right now, the NFCE in my opinion is wide open for whatever team wants to step up and take the crown. I think Green Bay is the team to beat in the NFC. Aaron Rodgers may be the best QB in the league this year. The Packers D is pretty scary as well. I think the Vikings just won't be as good in 2010 as they were in 2009. The 49ers have pretty much the same situation as the Chargers. The Saints are just too talented to keep off of this list and I have a suspicion that it will be a good year for the Falcons.

So who's in the big game?
Green Bay vs. Indianapolis- with the Packers winning it all.

The Fate of the Redskins
So where are the Redskins you ask? Simple, they aren't in the playoffs. I'm hoping I'm wrong and I'm already saying that my prediction (again, hoping wrong) lies around the 8-8 mark. The Skins have a tough schedule a much improved team, but a team that may have some injury history and  a new coach/GM and a whole bunch of new players. There will be a vast improvement from last year and I really wouldn't be that surprised if the Skins were able to stay healthy and with some luck get to 10-11 wins.

So am I completely off? Are the Skins a good or bad team this year. What do you think about the Skins or the NFL? Leave a comment below and let your opinion be seen.

2 comments:

servumtuum said...

WD-I'm looking at Houston taking an AFC Wild Card spot-they're a dangerous team this season. Green Bay is also my probable SB winner-but they'll be beating the Ravens. They have in Jermichael Finley the scariest young TE I've seen in a while. Great WR corps, and, of course, Rodgers-plus Woodson, Matthews, Collins...etc on D. They may be like NO last season-a scoring machine.

As far as the Skins go, I'm sticking with 8-8, we're noticeably better but our schedule is brutal-your division champ and Wildcard lists include five games on the Skins schedule-Dallas twice, the Colts, Vikes and Packers. Not easy pickin's for anybody. We might have a shot at beating the Vikes, tho'-I agree that they won't be the powerhouse of last season. It will be interesting, no doubt.

Walking Deadman said...

serv,
Yeah the Packers just look crazy to me. I don't have the Ravens b/c I have the Colts beating them in the championship game. The Colts just have owned the Ravens over the years. I'd agree with you about the Texans, but everytime I think they're going to hit the next level....they don't.
You and I are on the same page about the Skins. I just don't want to be too over opotomistic about them....I've been down that road way too many times as a Redskins fan. 8-8 would be a good start. Anything better than that would just make my day.

Post a Comment