Thursday, May 26, 2011

Say it Ain't so CP......

One of my favorite Redskins in the Gibbs 2.0 era to the current Shanahan team has been Clinton Portis. One of the best blocking RBs of all time, CP proved to many doubters that he was an incredibly versatile back as he excelled in Mike Shanahan's zone scheme during his Denver days and then did well as a power runner in Joe Gibbs' more smash mouthed run scheme.

(Portis possibly doing this in a Giants, Eagles or Cowboys jersey? That's just wrong)
I've been a fan of his personality and his toughness during his tenure as a Skin. I even overlooked and defended Portis to other Skin fans who didn't like some of his commentary either about former head coach Jim Zorn, or his work effort during practice and in the off season (ie. many suggested Portis was out of shape, especially in 2008 and 2009).

Of course now CP wants to pull a Lavar Arrington and join another NFC East team, namely the Giants.

“To go to the Giants and get to play the Redskins twice a year after them feeling I wasn’t capable any more, I think that would be outstanding,”
- Clinton Portis 5/25/11

Good luck with that. CP has always used the me vs. the world comments to motivate him. It's worked for me as well in the past. I hope it can help him find another team and do well. That said, it's clear that his body has aged in NFL years to that of a very old player. Personally, even if he was in great shape and motivated (kind of like last year) I have doubts that CP would make it through a 16 game season.

I wanted to write something awful here about if/when he played the Skins he'd fumble a bunch and look terrible, but I can't do it. I still like the player and respect his game too much to do that, even if he did just commit fan suicide with about 99% of the Redskins fan base.

Here's the lesson to take away from all of this: Never buy a jersey of a current player unless you know that player will a) retire with your team, b) is so popular and well respected in the league that no fan (opposing or rooting for the same team) or yourself can shame you for owning that player's jersey c) is a player that you like so much that even if he isn't with your team you're proud that he played for your team (perfect example: London Fletcher. All fans of the Rams, Bills or Redskins should be proud that Fletcher was a part of their organization.). Sadly, I've been burned twice by some former Redskins who I really liked and then irritated me to a point where I probably won't wear they're jerseys again. Clinton Portis may just join that group.

Full Transcript of the Portis Interview via Real Redskins
Rich Tandler does some fact checking on the Portis comments (again via Real Redskins)

No comments:

Post a Comment