Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stop SOPA and PIPA Now!!!!

(using this image alone could end  IIWII if these acts are passed. Image via)
I don't wax politic on this site. EVER. That has been one of my few "unwritten rules" that I have for IIWII. So you will never read about who I like in the election, where I stand on taxes, social issues and political viewpoint. Frankly, politics are volatile and I don't want anger 50% of my readers when all I want to write about is football and the occasional pop culture thing.

That said, I'm making an exception today. Today multiple websites have "gone black" to send a message to you the internet reader about SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act). The concept of these bills are to protect copyrighted material from being pirated and counterfeited from various websites including those in foreign countries. The problem I have with these acts are that the wording and scope are incredibly vague and it can lead to an end of free speech in some areas of the web and complete removal of some sites and businesses that current exist on the internet.

Like You Tube? well, it probably won't exist the way you see it today if these acts become law. Reddit and blogs could be targets and casualties as well. Hell, even a company like ESPN that supports SOPA could fall by it's own measures based on a Deadspin article that suggests at least Bill Simmons has potentially violated SOPA. Think your message boards would be safe? Not so. The boards would have to monitor every link put on by a poster to make sure it doesn't infringe on copyrighted material.

Even IIWII (which has never made one cent of money) would be in jeopardy with these laws. I couldn't show You Tube highlights of draft prospects or various images even if I linked back to the original article (which I try to give full credit and link original sources when I can).

We live in an age where our freedoms are daily being threatened by people with power who can take them away from us. Luckily, in this country we the people (remember, the government is here to serve the people not the other way around) can let our representatives know that we don't like this and we don't want SOPA and PIPA to infringe on our rights to free expression.

Please click on the above links to learn more about SOPA and PIPA and I hope you join me and many others to oppose these acts.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment